When you are sleeping it takes longer to wake up to the signs of a fire and if you don’t have a working smoke alarm there will be nothing to wake you up.
Bedtime checks are an important part of winding down and going to bed. Below are a few tips on making sure there are no possible fire hazards that could start a fire whilst you are sleeping.
Get into the habit of completing a bedtime check
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
- Check that the cooker is turned off
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances. Unless they are meant to be left on e.g. your freezer
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards
- Make sure exits are clear of obstacles and check that door and window keys are in the right place
- Make sure that cigarettes have been put out properly. Never smoke in bed
- Make sure all candles are out. Never leave one burning when you go to sleep
- Turn off your electric blanket. Unless it has been designed to be left on overnight and has a thermostat
- Make sure the washing machine, dishwasher or tumbler dryer are not running overnight
For more Fire Safety Tips in the Home click here
Or give us a call to discuss further on 0121 439 1220 or email email@example.com