We all do it, we all have our mobile phones by our bed charging while we sleep, but why do we do it….
Just typing ‘fires from charging phones overnight’ into Google will bring up over 20 million pages with news posts and advice not to do it, so why do we? Overheating can cause the surrounding material to start burning and causing a fire.
We could quite easily put our phone on charge when we wake up and get ready for work, after all it only takes on average an hour and half to fully charge. Or why don’t we just charge it at work or sneakily use a plug socket at school to finish charging it. Are we really frightened of missing something from the world of digital media in that first hour of waking. it will still be there an hour later and it gives us time to do what we really should do when we wake up and that is fill our body with caffeine, eat breakfast, shower and dress, which takes the normal person an hour to do.
However, it is NOT just while we sleep…..read on
Do NOT charge your phone near clothes or sitting on your bed, they will start burning if too hot!!
A lot of adults and children place their phone or laptop on charge and leave it on their bed while having a shower or doing homework etc. This is a high risk fire hazard.
Remember the FIRE TRIANGLE and what is NEEDED to start a fire.
HEAT – OXYGEN – FUEL and the ignition.
Placing a phone, charging or not (HEAT), Bedding, Clothes (FUEL) and we all know there is (OXYGEN) all around us…all it takes is one small spark and BANG we have a fire. Surrounding materials will start burning.
Parents need to remind their children of this before we have a plague of fires in our homes from an item we class as a valuable tool for our everyday lives.
There are many stories of batteries catching on fire whilst they are on charge and even more so recently. Back in February 2016, it was reported in the news of a 53 year old man, who had a brain tumour and was bed bound, had his phone charging next to him while he slept. He died after suffering 64% burns including 1st degree burns to his face and neck. The autopsy also showed soot in his larynx and trachea.
Reports have also been made of people leaving their mobile phone under their pillows, whilst charging (see photo) this is an absolutely stupid thing to do. Not only is there heat coming from the charger but from your head too, which is where a lot of our body heat escapes from. ‘My head is on fire’ is suppose to be an expression and not a reality.
It was also recently reported of a cyclist out on a peaceful bike ride when he fell off his bike and onto his IPhone 6. He got back onto his bike when suddenly he had a searing pain in his leg. When he checked it he noticed his IPhone had exploded in his pocket and burnt his leg (see photo) and full story by clicking here.
Like all fires we can prevent them from happening by applying a little common sense to our everyday lives.
‘Being a victim of a fire is not a good experience and I would not wish it on anyone, from losing all you own to seeing a loved one lying in a hospital bed covered in burns and that is if they are lucky enough to survive.’ – So take it from someone who has been there and experienced it, use your common sense and if you are unsure, then always Remember the Fire Triangle.
Or contact us on 0121 439 1220 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any advice on protecting your family, home or business.