So many business owners think it is acceptable to ignore their Fire Safety responsibilities.
How do they think their staff feel thinking their employer does not care about their safety or well being?
On a daily basis our company’s news feed gets filled with prosecutions and enforcement action posts because a business owner, landlord or responsible person neglects their legal responsibilities with regards to their fire safety.
It is quite common to think ‘oh well, if it happens it happens, but I doubt it will happen to me’ well guess what…you have as much chance of it happening to you then the business that went up in smoke this morning. Even more likely if you do not have any plans in place or have not taken steps to protect your building.
In the UK last year there was an average of 49 businesses and 77 homes catching fire every single day. Law of averages say we will all suffer a fire at some point in our lives. Personally, if you have seen my previous blog or video, then you will know I went through a massive house fire when I was 5 years old. Click on the links and see for yourselves.
Here are 6 Reasons why Fire Safety is of utmost importance in your business…
- Saving Lives…the most obvious and ultimately the most important is because should a fire happen at your premises then having Fire Safety measures in place will save someone’s life, including yours!! What if your employees or those visiting you on that day are trapped and cannot escape from the building….will you be able to handle the guilt of them losing their life, because it will be YOUR fault??
- Legal Requirement…Some people do not realise that it is in fact a legal requirement (Regulatory Reform ‘Fire Safety Order 2005’) for ALL businesses to have suitable measures in place to protect their building, employees and visitors to the premises. You should always start with a Risk Assessment to establish your fire safety needs.
- Invalidating Insurance…One of the questions most insurance companies ask when going through the statement of facts is whether the premises has a fire alarm or other fire safety measures in place. Answering yes to this question and then not having any fire safety is a criminal offence. Should a fire start at your premises, not only will you lose everything you have worked so damn hard for, but you will also lose your right to claim on your insurance. How will you get back to normal and restart your business without the insurance cheque? You must have more money than sense to not care about the insurance. Do you think they won’t find out? Wrong, all fires are investigated for arson or reasons behind it, so you are out of luck because they will find out!
- Enforcement Action…Not only will you lose the insurance and face charges for committing fraud but you will also be facing enforcement action from the fire service. Every day the fire service prosecutes some business owner that has failed in their duties to protect their employees, visitors or members of the public. Most of the enforcement action is before there is even a fire and is either a random inspection or a report from a law abiding citizen. The prosecution usually results in a criminal record, hefty fine and/or imprisonment. Click here to see for yourself!
- Imprisonment…Can you imagine going to prison? Some people enjoy it and go back again and again but these are NOT generally CEO’s or MD’s of companies. These types of people in our society generally hate it, they are not the prison type and are use to having their fast car, nice house or lovely family. So now…You have lost your business to a fire, you cannot claim on the insurance and rebuild your business, you have been fined 10’s of thousands of pounds, you have a criminal record, lost everything including your family because they cannot handle the pressure of court cases and press articles and now to make matters worse you are spending the next 12 months in a 10 x 2 cell and they have to fend for themselves…great, worth it isn’t it.
- Business Reputation…So you have lost everything, you come out of prison with all these plans to rebuild your life and bam, your parents or friends have kept the news articles that have been circulating whilst you have been away. It says how a local business owner neglected his duties to protect his employees and visitors when a fire broke out at his premises and is doing 12 months bird in prison. That is without someone losing their life in the fire which you will be blamed for…not only has it been on your conscience for 12 months but now people are staring at you in the street because they remember seeing your picture in a news article being shared on social media.
We are just one company of many that have news posts of these scenarios being shared on social media daily. Click here and it will take you to the latest posts.
There will no chance of you rebuilding your business in your home town, will customers or employees even come back to you?? Is it worth the risk??
What is the main reason why you are failing to put fire safety measures in place??
Is it the cost?? Well nowadays the cost of fire safety has dropped dramatically especially if you use a local company and not a national brand.
Think of all the other things in life you don’t want to pay for….Car Insurance – but we do, Council Tax – but we do, Income Tax – but we do….then why don’t you pay for fire safety?? Because you have to…morally and legally!
It prevents all of those points above from happening! You won’t have to live with one of your employees or even friends losing their life! You wont have to spend time in a 10 x 2 prison cell! You won’t have your reputation shot to pieces!
So I ask you again is it worth the risk??
If you would fee more confident receiving some fire safety training our E-Learning courses are just for you. For just £25 + VAT you can take our certificated Level 2 Fire Marshal Training course giving you all the knowledge and confidence needed in fire safety. Click here for more info.