House Fires – Facts & Figures, Tips and Advice
Did You Know…….
There were 28,200 accidental house fires in the UK in one year 2014/15
163 people died in those accidental fires with 3,235 non fatality victims that suffered moderate to severe burns
Read these factual statistics about fire safety at home….
- You are 4 times more likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a smoke alarm that works
- Around half of house fires are caused by cooking accidents
- Two fires a day are started by candles
- Every 6 days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette
- Around 2 fires a day are started by heaters
- Faulty Electrics (appliances, wiring, and overloaded sockets) cause around 6,000 fires in the home across the country every year
Losing a loved one in a fire is devastating enough but then losing all material items too. Never being able to replace those sentimental items, family photos, clothes and having to start again is not something we should put ourselves through especially when it can be avoided.
Some insurance companies are invalid if you do not have smoke detectors on each level and some even require you have a fire extinguisher in the home, so it worth checking.
Did you also know that a recent survey was carried out and they found that 80% of fires fought with a fire extinguisher successfully extinguished it resulting in only 5% of the fires needed the fire brigade.
Tips on Fire Safety for –