Search Here

As Christmas is on its way Fire Safety Managers is urging people to make sure that they are fire safe over the festive period



Christmas is a special time for celebration and should not end in tragedy because of the extra hazards that are present at this time of year.  Many things other than your Christmas Tree are additional fire hazards such as –

  • fairy lights
  • paper hats
  • extra candles
  • decorations
  • presents and gifts (flammable items, aerosols, perfume etc)

Christmas is an enjoyable time of the year but what if either before, during or after Christmas a fire starts and you lose everything you treasure, how would you cope or recover?  Do you have an emergency plan to escape or a contingency plan to help you survive and recover following the fire?

With careful consideration and listening to some fire safety advice you will be taking steps to prevent a fire from starting.

Fairy Lights

  • Check the fuses are the right type (see the box for the maximum size of fuse you should use).
  • If bulbs blow, replace them.
  • Don’t leave fairy lights on when you go out or when you go to sleep.
  • Don’t let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper.
  • Don’t overload sockets.


  • Decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard burn easily.
  • Don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
  • Don’t put them immediately above or around the fireplace.
  • Keep them away from candles.

Christmas Trees

Special fire safety precautions need to be taken when keeping a live tree in the house. A burning tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases.

This can be seen by viewing this video

Selecting a Tree for Christmas

Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull back from the branches, and the needle should not break if the tree has been freshly cut. The trunk should be sticky to the touch. Old trees can be identified by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground. If many needles fall off, the tree has been cut too long, has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.

Caring for Your Tree

Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks. Be careful not to drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree. Do not put your live tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.

Disposing of Your Tree

Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood burning stove. When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling centre or having it taken away by a community pickup service.


You can download our 12 days of fire safety over Christmas tips and advice here

If you have any questions or worries about how safe you are from fire, do not hesitate to give us a call on 0121 439 1220 and one of our team will be more than happy to help.

To visit our Online Store click here.

To see our Social Mission click here.