Search Here



Did you know the kitchen is the single most dangerous place in your home?  Seven thousand people are injured in kitchen fires each year and that doesn’t include the people who are killed.

Be sharp, be smart, be safe and know what to do / what not to do in the kitchen.

Nearly two thirds of all domestic fires happen because of cooking.

More fires begin in the kitchen than any other room in the home. Cooking is one of the leading causes of fire-related deaths. The main cause of kitchen fires – cooking equipment (sources include stoves, microwaves and ovens).


kitchen fire

“Typically, fires resulting from cooking facilities fall in the top 6 causes in the UK. According to statistics collated by the Fire Protection Association (FPA), the main specific causes for kitchen fires over a 10-year period are shown in the graph (below). These figures only relate to fires reported to the FPA and are not therefore complete but during this period, there were a total of 89 serious fires resulting in damage in excess of £60m with an average loss per incident over £650,000.” –


Believe it or not, it doesn’t take a fool to start a fire in the kitchen. They can be caused very easily. After all, the kitchen is the most likely place for the home to set fire.

Take our very own Brummie ‘Ozzy Osbourne’s story, for example; the rock star was simply making himself a late night snack (a bacon sandwich), when his kitchen soon became smoked. The grease from the meat set the pan alight and set off the fire alarm and help rushed to the scene. Luckily, he escaped unscathed. However, a couple of months later he was not again so lucky as another fire caused by an unattended candle had caused the house to go up in flames, burning off his eyebrows, leaving burns on his face and hands and singeing his hair.

Without his smoke alarms going off that night, it is more than likely that bacon sandwich would have been the cause of some seriously threatening and perhaps even deadly consequences.


Put your safety first and theirs…

When the day comes where your child believes they have finally learnt enough from their in-the-TV-screen friends Big Cook and Little Cook, are they aware of the dangers they face when standing before the stove? Most importantly, would they know exactly how to handle it if it all went up in flames?

Did you know – In 2012 alone, approximately 360,000 children nationwide were injured from burns or scalds…

AND … More than 126,035 children across the country, including more than 67,000 children 4 and under, were injured due to a fire or burn and treated in emergency rooms. maxresdefault

There are many ways to teach your young ones about fire safety in the kitchen. Keep the kids safe by teaching them a few simple tips and tricks…

Teach children to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.


Never use metal in the microwave.If it sparks – you’re screwed! – The sparks can turn into fire or can seriously damage your microwave.

Don’t go crazy with the quantity of oil or grease in pots or pans. – The hot oil or grease can splatter and cause a fire

Always make sure the surfaces are squeaky clean before use and clean up those spills. – Grease build-up is flammable. A spotless stove is a safe stove.

Always roll up sleeves and tie back hair when cooking – For as long as you want to keep your lengthy locks and favourite garments, avoid having them get in the way and catching fire.

Always keep an eye on your food! – Leaving food unattended is a recipe for disaster. Keep watch on your food to ensure nothing boils over or is burning. If you need to leave the kitchen for any reason make sure you turn off all appliances before doing so.

Do not pour water onto a pan with hot oil; the oil can sputter and cause burns.
Hold burns under cold water immediately to reduce the chance of it turning into a blister.
If a pan with fat or oil in catches fire, NEVER throw water on it.



Never use water on a grease fire.

If it is small in the pan, throw baking soda on top of it or cover it with a metal lid.

Never use flour or fan the flames with a towel.

Use an ABC rated dry powder fire extinguisher. Be sure it is placed next to an exit so that you can back out of the kitchen and home if the fire becomes uncontrollable.

Always turn off all appliances before leaving the kitchen.

Do not pour water onto a cooking fire, since it can make it bigger. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and call 999 if flames start to leap.

Turn pot handles to the back of the range top, and keep all towels and materials away from the stove burners.











Know when and how to operate your extinguisher; read the label carefully for directions.

Smoke alarms should be installed in the living area and in the hallway near bedrooms – not in the kitchen. The smoke alarm closest to the kitchen should be a photoelectric type, which is less prone to false alarms caused by cooking.





Buy our 2-IN-1 Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm and protect your future.